Miyerkules, Pebrero 27, 2013

A Love Story 2



Ever heard of Heinz Karl Klinkermann? He is a nobody, so you might not have heard. A German immigrant in Australia, married to a woman named Beryl Klinkermann. I don’t know their story the way I know my parents'. I happen to get pass by this certain news online while on job. I work for an Australian company, so a visit on the company’s website is a typical everyday task. I like reading the news on their side of the earth so I browse through them whenever I’m at work. A second love story I guess.


Parkinson's disease is a disorder of the brain that leads to shaking (tremors) and difficulty with walking, movement, and coordination. Parkinson's disease most often develops after age 50. It is one of the most common nervous system disorders of the elderly. Sometimes Parkinson's disease occurs in younger adults. It affects both men and women. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001762/)
Dementia is a loss of brain function that occurs with certain diseases. It affects memory, thinking, language, judgment, and behavior. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001748/)


Beryl Klinkermann suffers from both. In the end, Heinz tried murder-suicide with the use of Sleeping Pills and Carbon Monoxide poisoning. It failed as nurses found them the next morning, along with a three-page note. “What’s the point of going on?” That’s what Heinz’ said. The deed was tried in Victorian Supreme Court in Ballarat. Court Justice could have given him 25 years in prison but he was only entered in an 18-month community corrections order that includes medical and mental rehabilitation.


“Heinz had made a promise to her that he would never put her in a nursing home. He took this promise very seriously and would never renege on it,” said in a court proceeding by Heinz’ step-daughter Leonie Sudiro from a previous marriage. An entry on Heinz diary on the day of the tragic event states: “It’s time, I’m ready. It may sound tragic but that’s how it is. I’ll see how the day turns out I can’t watch my Beryl slipping away anymore. I want to go with her. Goodbye, farewell.”


I am in no position to judge anyone in here. All I can say is that I was touched by the story. How a man can love a woman that much. To not be able to take her suffering and simply decide it’s time to go at the same time, because he won’t be able to continue without her. The judges see through that. I’m pretty sure they felt Mr. Klinkermann was no public menace. It is love that drove him to do whatever he has done. He held her hands while everything was happening. Just like a true love story. I cried when I read what happened. I won’t know what to do in case I get in the same circumstances. I hate to speak out what I feel. Who wants that anyway? And who would want to read? I guess I’m still chicken on these things. I cry easily.


Remember the movie UP? He looks like Mr. Fredrickson yes. I was touched by the movie yes. Heinz loves his wife just the same, they have different stories, but the love's the same. Their love is a thing of beauty. I am moved.


In the end, when the time comes, I just want to love my vowed partner the same.


Excerpts from: (Kill bid an act of love: husband walks free after failed murder-suicide By PAT NOLAN) and go.bigpond.com/NEWS

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento